Section 7 of the Companies Act, 2013 discusses incorporation of a company including a One Person Company. We have discussed this Section earlier here. Clause (a) of Section (1) of Section 7 requires submitting the memorandum and articles of the company duly signed by all the subscribers to the memorandum in such manner as may be prescribed.
Rule 13 of the Companies (Incorporation) Rules 2014 prescribes this manner.
The Memorandum and Articles of Association of the company shall be signed in the following manner, namely:-
(1) The memorandum and articles of association of the company shall be signed by each subscriber to the memorandum. The Subscriber shall add his name, address, description and occupation, in the presence of at least one witness.
The Witness shall attest the signature and shall sign and add his name, address, description and occupation, if any and the witness shall state that “I witness to subscriber/subscriber(s), who has/have subscribed and signed in my presence (date and place to be given); further I have verified his or their Identity Details (ID) for their identification and satisfied myself of his/her/their identification particulars as filled in.”
(2) Where a subscriber to the memorandum is illiterate, he shall affix his thumb impression or mark which shall be described as such by the person, writing for him. The person writing for illiterate subscriber shall place the name of the subscriber against or below the mark and authenticate it by his own signature and he shall also write against the name of the subscriber, the number of shares taken by him.
(3) The person writing for illiterate subscriber shall also read and explain the contents of the memorandum and articles of association to the subscriber and make an endorsement to that effect on the memorandum and articles of association.
(4) Where the subscriber to the memorandum is a body corporate, the memorandum and articles of association shall be signed by director, officer or employee of the body corporate duly authorized in this behalf by a resolution of the board of directors of the body corporate. Where the subscriber is a Limited Liability Partnership, it shall be signed by a partner of the Limited Liability Partnership, duly authorized by a resolution approved by all the partners of the Limited Liability Partnership.
The person so authorized by a body corporate or Limited Liability Partnership shall not, at the same time, be a subscriber to the memorandum and articles of Association.
(5) Where subscriber to the memorandum is a foreign national residing outside India-
(a) in a country in any part of the Commonwealth, his signatures and address on the memorandum and articles of association and proof of identity shall be notarized by a Notary (Public) in that part of the Commonwealth.
(b) in a country which is a party to the Hague Apostille Convention, 1961, his signatures and address on the memorandum and articles of association and proof of identity shall be notarized before the Notary (Public) of the country of his origin and be duly apostillised in accordance with the said Hague Convention.
(c) in a country outside the Commonwealth and which is not a party to the Hague Apostille Convention, 1961, his signatures and address on the memorandum and articles of association and proof of identity, shall be notarized before the Notary (Public) of such country and the certificate of the Notary (Public) shall be authenticated by a Diplomatic or Consular Officer empowered in this behalf under section 3 of the Diplomatic and Consular Officers (Oaths and Fees) Act, 1948 (40 of 1948).
Where there is no Diplomatic or Consular officer by any of the officials mentioned in section 6 of the Commissioners of Oaths Act, 1889 (52 and 53 Vic.C.10), or in any Act amending the same.
(d) visited in India and intended to incorporate a company, in such case the incorporation shall be allowed if, he/she is having a valid Business Visa. In case of Person is of Indian Origin or Overseas Citizen of India, requirement of business Visa shall not be applicable.
Please note: I welcome your comments and feedback. This blog post is not a professional advice. Readers may share this post on social media by using buttons given here.
Can a partnership firm subscribe shares during incorporation of company through its partners i.e by joint holding?? and if yes what should be selected in form INC-7 and what should be written in subscriber shhet
Individual Names of Partners.
Pingback: Index of Companies Law Posts | AishMGhrana
where the person is of Indian origin residing outside India, what is the requirement to be the first subscriber of memorandum. Pls reply.
As per law applicable to the resident of country of his residence.
Pingback: SUBSCRIPTION SHEET | AishMGhrana
Pingback: IMPORTANCE OF SUBSCRIBERS TO MEMORANDUM AND ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION OF COMPANY | AishMGhrana