In this post we shall discuss cause list of National Company Law Appellate Tribunal. Part – V of National Company Law Appellate Tribunal Rules, 2016 comprising rules 33 and 34 discusses about cause list.
Daily cause list
According to sub – rule (1) of rule 33 of the National Company Law Appellate Tribunal Rules, 2016, the Registry shall prepare and publish on the notice board of the Registry before the closing of working hours on each working day the cause list for the next working day.
Order of priority
Subject to the directions of the Chairperson, listing of cases in the daily cause list shall be in the following order of priority, namely;-
- a) cases for pronouncement of orders;
- b) cases for clarification;
- c) cases for admission;
- d) cases for orders or directions;
- e) part-heard cases, latest part-heard having precedence; and
- f) cases posted as per numerical order or as directed by the Bench;
The bench may direct change in above priority order.
Information on cause list
According to sub – rule (2) of rule 33 of NCLAT Rules, 2016, the title of the daily cause list shall consist of –
- the number of the appeal,
- the day, date and time of the sitting Bench hall number and
- the quorum indicating the names of the Chairperson, Judicial member and Technical members constituting the Bench.
Other information on clause list
According to sub – rule (3) of rule 33 of NCLAT Rules, 2016, against the number of each case listed in the daily cause list, the following shall be shown, namely;-
(a) names of the legal practitioners or authorised representative appearing for both sides and setting out in brackets the designation of the parties whom they represent;
(b) names of the parties, if unrepresented, with their ranks in brackets.
(4) the objections and special directions, if any, of the Registry shall be briefly indicated in the daily cause list in remarks’ column, whenever compliance is required.
Carry forward of cause list
According to sub – rule (1) of rule 34 of NCLAT Rules, 2016, if by reason of declaration of holiday or for any other unforeseen reason, the Appellate Tribunal does not function for the day, the daily cause list for that day shall, unless otherwise directed, be treated as the daily cause list for the next working day in addition to the cases already posted for that day.
Adjournment on cancelation
According to sub – rule (2) of rule 34 of NCLAT Rules, 2016, when the sitting of a particular Bench is cancelled for the reason of inability of any Member of the Bench, the Registrar shall, unless otherwise directed, adjourn the cases posted before that Bench to a convenient date.
Notification of adjournment or posting
According to sub – rule (3) of rule 34 of NCLAT Rules, 2016, the adjournment or posting or directions shall be notified on the notice board.
Please note: This blog post is not a professional advice but just a knowledge sharing initiative for mutual discussion.