Employee’s welfare is also a matter corporate social responsibility for all body corporate. During debate on corporate social responsibilities we heard a lot from all quarters.
Principle 3 of National Voluntary Guideline on Social, Environment, & Economic Responsibilities of Business issued by Ministry of Corporate Affairs say, ”Businesses should promote the well being of all Employees.” On page 17 of this guideline, it is mentioned that “…strongly believe that addressing health issues significantly contributes to the sustainability of their business operations and especially the health and welfare of their employees.” There is separate guideline issued by Government for Central Public sector Enterprises.
As a stakeholder, we have interest in measures taken by professional bodies under Ministry of Corporate Affairs. It is noteworthy to note, these professional bodies are very instrumental to spread awareness about corporate social responsibilities on behalf of government. I filed applications under three professional bodies and asked same questions:
- Whether Employees if institute are covered under Central Government Health Scheme?
- If not; whether institute has any facility (ies)/Clinics/Hospitals of its own or otherwise where its employees may avail health services? Please provide list of such facility (ies)/Clinics/Hospitals on All India Basis.
- What are other facilities like group health insurance / Medical reimbursement available to employees of institute?
- What are first aid facilities available at the premises of institute for benefit of its employees, members, students and other visitors?
Replies are summarised in this table:
|Reply No||ICAI||ICSI||ICAI (CMA)|
|1||CGHS Card with Limited facility is available||No||No|
|2||Refer to one above.||Have tie up with various hospitals for providing medical facilities on CGHS/Discounted rates.||Have Medical Reimbursement facility.|
|3||Reimbursement facility available.Medical facilities from Employees Benevolent Fund and others.Annual General Medical Check up Scheme.Medical Treatment Loan.
Advances for Medi – claim premium.
|Reimbursement of medical expenses within prescribed limit.Reimbursement for medical expenses for specified minor and major disease under hospitalisation through ICSI Employees Medical Hospitalisation Trust.||No Health Insurance. Have Medical Reimbursement facility.|
|4||A doctor on part time basis to look after health of the employees who visits Institute’s Delhi and Noida once a week.First aid kits are being maintained.At times of immediate medical need concerned person is taken to nearby hospital as well.||First aid box at ICSI Lodi Road and Noida offices.||Have First – aid facilities and first aid boxes are made available.|
Even though there may some scope of improvement, I think our institutes have some innovative ideas of employee’s welfare. I appreciate following facilities:
- Employees benevolent fund or hospitalisation trust,
- Annual check – ups schemes,
- Advances for health insurances, and
- Medical treatment loan.
For the benefit of employees of these professional bodies and other interested person, I am providing copies of these RTI Replies after this short and interesting poll.